We are accepting registrations for Teacher’s Driving Academy for the 2017-2018 school year! The Milford Youth Center is pleased to partner with Teachers Driving Academy to offer students a great program, at a reasonable price, with added convenience of taking classes right at school! For more information, click here. Every registration fee is made out to “The Town of Milford- Milford Youth Center” as a donation from the TDA. Please mail form to the Youth Center address at 24 Pearl St. We are very grateful for this collaboration and support!
- United Way of Tri-County: We would like to thank the United Way of Tr-County for donating 35 backpacks to some of our MYC After School members for this school year! The United Way of Tri-County runs this annual back-to-school backpack program to help children and youth succeed and learn. The program is a combined effort between area businesses and employees to provide backpacks and school supplies for the school year!
- Thomas family for the donation of this beautiful pool table to replace ours that was falling apart! Also, thank you to Grandma’s Attic Moving company for picking up the new pool table and moving it into the Youth Center
- Jessica Dunn Komenda for donating 4 Madagascar tickets for a musical at Stadium Theater to the Youth Center! to give to a family
- 7-Eleven for donating two large cases of water, bananas and candy
- Milford Softball for donating water, Gatorade, snacks and t-shirts
- Summer Camp families for donating snacks and treats all summer for our campers and staff
- Tom Keenan for donating sports balls
We are very excited to congratulate and welcome back Victoria Williams for being selected for the second year as our Social Capital Inc. AmeriCorps member! Victoria will be serving at the Center for the next 10 months, as a Youth Leadership coordinator, completing over 1700 hours of service! Victoria is an after school and Youth Council alumni, along with the 2015 United Way of Tri-County “Youth Volunteer of the Year” award winner! We are so excited and proud of Victoria for this amazing opportunity! Victoria will be running the MYC Youth Council, under the leadership of the Social Capital Inc. and Milford Youth Center! If you are interested in learning more about the MYC Youth Council, please contact Victoria here. The first MYC Youth Council meeting will be held this Wednesday, September 13, 2017 from 4-5 PM at the MYC!
- VISIT NOW: bit.ly/donateMYC
- MAIL: You can mail us a donation to 24 Pearl St! Please make your check out to “Town of Milford- MYC”
- E-MAIL: We understand that it is a busy time of year! If you are unable to make a donation now, email us at email@example.com and we will connect with you when there is a more convenient time!
For the “live” donation thermometer, with the list of all those who have donated so far, click here.
The Telethon was such a fun and successful event! We are so grateful for all the volunteers, acts and performers who came out on a Saturday to support our cause: Kaitlyn Mobilia, the High Altitude Jump Rope Team, Mark Mancuso & his teacher, Jake Martin, CrossFit Never Doubt, Mark Dittelman and the Penguin Apocalypse, Jerry Caruso, Paul Seaver and HOOP Crew, Earl “the Pearl” Wilson, Dan Duest, “Unwanted”, Dave Crespo, “Zero drift”, the MHS football team, Mick Lawless, the Mendon County Band, the Knopp Brothers, the Stacy Sax Quartet, the MHS String Trio, the Blackstone Valley Quartet, and “Justin and Ray”. A huge thank you to Milford TV and Ray Auger for hosting the event for us! Also, thank you to all the individuals and companies who have donated so far: Bob’s Discount Furniture Charitable Foundation who donated $1,500, Seven Eleven who donated $2,000, Chick DeGeorge who donated $1,500, Signs Plus who donated the telethon banner, United Way of Tri-County who let us use their Mobile Cause for our donations, the Muffin House, Milford TV, and Olivas for donating food for everyone, Milford Bike for donating an awesome bike, Tim Rice for his artwork, Scott Magill for donating a guitar lesson, Dawn Bailey of “That Smarts by Dawn” for painting a beautiful guitar for our room, our Board members and staff (Sandy, Susan, Brenda and Joanna) who were stationed at the Youth Center to answer all phone call pledges, the Batista family as they donated a piano, and the Milford highway department who also donated their time to help move the piano.
- Bootcamp– Bootcamp is run by our Assistant Director, Katie Covell. Katie is a licensed USAW sports performance coach. This is a group class, and either takes place indoors or outside. It will combine cardio, free weights, and interval training as decide by the instructor.
- Fishing– Also led by our Assistant Director Katie, who is a Cape Cod native and has a plethora of knowledge when it comes to anything that lives in the water, fishing will take place at the Milford pond. This will be a fun class of getting to know how to use a fishing pole and bait a hook. It will be a catch and release class.
- Career and College Advising– This class is led by our Program Coordinator, Christine Daddario. For youth ages 14 and up who would like to start working or need help applying to colleges. The majority of work focuses on resume building, job searching, college applications and how to fill out a FAFSA.
- Crafts– Crafts is also led by Christine Daddario. The class is all about fun and creativity, and a lot of experimenting from Pinterest. We use a lot of up-cycled materials so youth learn about re-using and the benefits is has to the environment.
- MYC Youth Council– The Youth Council is run by our AmeriCorps member, Victoria Williams. The council meets weekly to work on community service projects, discuss major issues affecting youth, and also to create a culture where members work on being a role model in the center as well as in the community at large
- Nutrition– Led by Christine Daddario, who has a BS in Nutrition. The class will focus on making easy and fun recipes as well as tasting new foods. Youth will also be shown the importance of healthy eating through modeling and will be encouraged to make behavior changes through discussion and staff guidance.
- Nature Hike– Nature hikes will take place on the beautiful Charles River Trail and will be led by Katie Covell. Youth will have a chance to observe their natural environment while getting in some hardy exercise.
- Science Club- Led by Victoria Williams, the science club will be a place where youth can go to learn, talk, and experiment with all things science. From discussions to watching experiments, as well as making their own, the science club is a fun and exciting spot for any youth interested in science.
- CrossFit– CrossFit will be run by Marc Pitts from CrossFit Never Doubt in Milford. CrossFit is constantly varied functional movements performed at high intensity. All CrossFit workouts are based on functional movements, and these movements reflect the best aspects of gymnastics, weightlifting, running, rowing and more. Marc tailors all his classes to fit the needs of our youth here at the center.