- Cardio Dance Jam- This class will be taught by Lisa Kohne who is certified by the American Fitness and Aerobics Association and the National Association for Sports Medicine in primary group exercise instruction. We will also have a new instructor teaching this class; Gisella Flamenco who is a certified Zumba instructor and teaches classes throughout central MA. This class will be a fun mix of hip hop, Zumba, and cardio.
- Batting Cage Practice- The batting cages will be led by two of our newest staff members who are also members of the Milford Softball team. Madison Bonvino and Kelley Reichert will oversee youth who would like to use our batting cages. They will learn proper techniques and skills of the sport in a controlled, safe environment.
- Weight Room (14+): During Batting Cage practice, Youth ages 14 and older will be allowed to use our weight room.
- IMPROV- Back by popular demand we have Karen Kelly who is an actress from IMPROV Boston. The kids will be exposed to acting, fun games, and props, and get a chance to experience standup comedy. It is said that even if you don’t want to be an actor everyone should experience an IMPROV class once in their life as it helps you face your fears, think faster, increase confidence, take healthy risks, and problem solve.
Homework Help- Homework help is at 3:00. We also have tutoring available for free on Tues. and Thurs. at 3:30. If you would like to take advantage of this service please email us to set up an appointment.
- Sewing- We say goodbye and thank you to Lisa White who helped us with a couple months of sewing and was an awesome wealth of knowledge for our staff and members. Sewing will continue with Christine and Darlene Dulude leading this class. which will focus on fun and easy sewing projects & Home Ec centered ventures.
- Career and College Advising- This class is led by our Program Coordinator, Christine Daddario. For youth ages 14 and up who would like to start working or need help applying to colleges. The majority of work focuses on resume building, job searching, college applications and how to fill out a FAFSA.
- Crafts- Crafts is also led by Christine Daddario, with help from volunteer Darlene Dulude. The class is all about fun and creativity, and a lot of experimenting from Pinterest. We use a lot of up-cycled materials so youth learn about re-using and the benefits is has on the environment.
- MYC Youth Council- The MYC Youth council, MYCYC for short is still very popular, with our highest numbers yet. In the last few months the MYCYC has walked in the Veteran’s Day and Santa parade, collaborated with Milford TV to learn how to use camera equipment and edit material, collected items for a women’s shelter and participated in Project Snowstorm: an initiative to help the elderly with shoveling by pairing them up with a teen who can shovel for them. There is still room to join the council if you are interested.
Nutrition- Led by Christine Daddario, who has a BS in Nutrition, with help from volunteer Darlene Dulude. The class will focus on making easy and fun recipes as well as tasting new foods. Youth will be shown the importance of healthy eating through modeling and will be encouraged to make behavior changes through discussion and staff guidance. We will also cover some topics on holistic health so members can be exposed to different ideas about how to stay healthy.
- Science Club- Led by Victoria Williams, the science club will be a place where youth can go to learn, talk, and experiment with all things science. From discussions to watching experiments, as well as making their own, the science club is a fun and exciting spot for any youth interested in science.
- Zumba- Zumba is new this month and will be led by Carrie Ann Kaye Kuter who is a fitness trainer at “HappyFit with Carrie Ann”. Grooving to the beats of salsa, flamenco, and merengue music feels more like a dance party than a workout which is exactly what makes Zumba so popular. The Latin-inspired dance workout is one of the most popular group exercise classes in the world. The high-energy classes are set to upbeat music and feature choreographed dance numbers that you might see in a nightclub. You don’t need to be a great dancer to feel welcome in a Zumba class. With the tag line, “Ditch the Workout, Join the Party,” the classes emphasize moving to the music and having a good time, no rhythm required.
*We will be closed on the 1stfor the New Year holiday and on the 15th in observance of Martin Luther King Day.
*We will be open from 10:30 am-3 PM on the Half Day, January 12th
*In collaboration with The Way Church and Milford Public Schools, on January 26th we will have a “Find Yourself Friday” event for ages 8-18 from 7-9pm at the Youth Center. The event will be $3.00 unless an old suitcase is brought for a donation. There will also be a chance for parents to participate in a cyber bullying class at this event.