A new school year is upon us! Here is our September calendar as well as descriptions for all of the programming:
Open Gym– Open gym is a non-structured program where youth are allowed free play and choice of activities in the gym as well as the rest of the youth center (lounge and game room).
Homework Help– Youth can, upon request receive help from staff in the game room area for homework they are having trouble with. All game systems will be turned off for the first hour of the after school program in order to provide a more focused environment for getting work done. If youth would prefer not to have help with their homework, they are provided space to do it on their own.
- Bootcamp– Bootcamp is run by our Assistant Director, Katie Covell. Katie is a licensed USAW sports performance coach. This is a group class, and either takes place indoors or outside. It will combine cardio, free weights, and interval training as decide by the instructor.
- Fishing– Also led by our Assistant Director Katie, who is a Cape Cod native and has a plethora of knowledge when it comes to anything that lives in the water, fishing will take place at the Milford pond. This will be a fun class of getting to know how to use a fishing pole and bait a hook. It will be a catch and release class.
- Career and College Advising– This class is led by our Program Coordinator, Christine Daddario. For youth ages 14 and up who would like to start working or need help applying to colleges. The majority of work focuses on resume building, job searching, college applications and how to fill out a FAFSA.
- Crafts– Crafts is also led by Christine Daddario. The class is all about fun and creativity, and a lot of experimenting from Pinterest. We use a lot of up-cycled materials so youth learn about re-using and the benefits is has to the environment.
- MYC Youth Council– The Youth Council is run by our AmeriCorps member, Victoria Williams. The council meets weekly to work on community service projects, discuss major issues affecting youth, and also to create a culture where members work on being a role model in the center as well as in the community at large
- Nutrition– Led by Christine Daddario, who has a BS in Nutrition. The class will focus on making easy and fun recipes as well as tasting new foods. Youth will also be shown the importance of healthy eating through modeling and will be encouraged to make behavior changes through discussion and staff guidance.
- Nature Hike– Nature hikes will take place on the beautiful Charles River Trail and will be led by Katie Covell. Youth will have a chance to observe their natural environment while getting in some hardy exercise.
- Science Club- Led by Victoria Williams, the science club will be a place where youth can go to learn, talk, and experiment with all things science. From discussions to watching experiments, as well as making their own, the science club is a fun and exciting spot for any youth interested in science.
- CrossFit– CrossFit will be run by Marc Pitts from CrossFit Never Doubt in Milford. CrossFit is constantly varied functional movements performed at high intensity. All CrossFit workouts are based on functional movements, and these movements reflect the best aspects of gymnastics, weightlifting, running, rowing and more. Marc tailors all his classes to fit the needs of our youth here at the center.
The Milford Youth Center’s after school program is open for youth ages 8-18, free of charge for Milford residents and students, from 2-6 pm Monday through Friday (check monthly calendar for any changes). All Youth members must be picked up by time of closing (unless they walk home). Pick up is outside of the building on 24 Pearl St. There may be additional permission forms to participate, due to some programs being held off site (Transportation is not provided). The game room, gymnasium and lounge, will be opened daily. For registration form, click here.